By Derek Magill
My colleague T.K. Coleman and I spoke last weekend at the 2016 Voice & Exit conference. I can say that it was easily the most fun, most engaged session I’ve ever, and the audience was a huge part of that.
Since we ran out of time, I wanted to create a list of resources that those interested in college alternatives, education, how to build a career without a degree, and the value creation mindset might find valuable.
- How to Get a Job Even if You Don’t Have a College Degree — My most popular post on the subject. Guaranteed to land you a job if you follow the steps.
- How Simon Used Free Work to Get a Paid Photography Job without a Degree — One of my readers I mentioned during the talk.
- If You Want to Get a Job, You Don’t Need a Resume — You Need a Value Proposition — A primer on the value creation mindset
- A Complete Guide to Building Your Career Using Free Work — A guide I’ve written about how to use free work to get yourself in the door.
- Praxis — If you apply and mention that you heard about us at Voice & Exit, you’ll get a $1000 scholarship upon acceptance.
- Make School — A two year college alternative for coders and developers
Books to Read:
- The Education of Millionaires: Everything You Won’t Learn in College — One of my favorite books on essential skills every young professional should have.
- The End of Jobs — One of the few books I’ve read that really gets the future of employment
- Better than College — A simple, solid primer to getting an education without college
Talks and Podcasts:
- Instead of College: A Practical Alternative — Praxis CEO Isaac Morehouse on the Tom Woods Show
- Can College Hold You Back? — Praxis Director of Marketing (Me) on the Tom Woods Show
- Dropping Out of College for Fun and Profit: A Fireside Chat at FEE with T.k. Coleman
As a final note, I’d like to invite you to schedule call if you want to talk further about the topics we explored during the talk or about Praxis. I had a great time at the conference this year and was only disappointed that I didn’t get to meet as many of you as I would like. You can schedule the call here. I’ve lowered my normal rates to the cheapest price possible so that I can speak to as many of you as I can.